Fire Prevention Week
In October we celebrate Fire Prevention Week! This is the perfect time to ensure you and your family have a Home Safety Action Plan.
The National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA®) has announced “Fire Won’t Wait. Plan Your Escape™” as the theme for Fire Prevention Week™, October 9-15, reinforcing the critical importance of developing a home escape plan with all members of the household and practicing it regularly. In addition, this October represents the 100th anniversary of Fire Prevention Week, the nation’s longest-running public health observance on record.
The following are key messages behind this year’s “Fire Won’t Wait. Plan Your Escape” theme:
- Make sure your home escape plan meets the needs of all your family members, including those with sensory or physical disabilities.
- Smoke alarms should be installed inside every sleeping room, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every level of your home. Smoke alarms should be interconnected so when one sounds, they all sound.
- Know at least two ways out of every room, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows open easily.
- Have an outside meeting place a safe distance from your home where everyone should meet.
- Practice your home fire drill at least twice a year with everyone in the household, including guests. Practice at least once during the day and at night.
To create a Home Safety Action Plan, visit: www.nfpa.org/~/media/Files/FPW/Educate/2022/FPW22CHecklist.ashx
For games, activities and materials, visit: www.nfpa.org/Events/Events/Fire-Prevention-Week