Copyright © East Lake Fire Rescue.
SPECIAL NEEDS REGISTRY PROGRAM
The Special Needs Registry Program can prevent hurricane-related injuries and death
of the special needs population of the East Lake Tarpon Special Fire Control District.
What is the Special Needs Registry Program?
The Special Needs Registry Program assists Florida citizens with special needs (mentally or
physically challenged individuals) with transportation and sheltering during an
evacuation. It is a state-mandated program created in 1993
(F.S. 252.355). This program is for those who have tried everything possible to
accommodate themselves and no options exists.
You may be eligible if you meet all of the following criteria:
your present medical needs includes diabetes, dialysis treatment, oxygen dependency,
and mobility limitations and/or there are special needs as a mentally
you are unable to make arrangements to stay somewhere in a non-evacuation zone.
you do not have transportation.
How the Special Needs Registry Program works
· Call East Lake Fire & Rescue and ask for the Special Needs Registry Program.
· Respond to questions on a checklist to determine your eligibility.
· If you are eligible, you will be placed on the list for a period of one year
· If an evacuation order is issued, services will be provided to you.
- You must be packed and ready to go.
- You will be taken to a public shelter ---
- i.e. nursing home, school, or hospital.
- You must bring something on which to sit/lay down on.
- You must bring instructions for your care if needed.
- You must bring a 72-hour supply of any special dietary or medical needs.
If you need information for yourself or a relative/friend, call today.
You are encourage to register before the start of the hurricane season (June 1st)
East Lake Fire Rescue