Copyright © East Lake Fire Rescue.

East Lake Fire Rescue

 Pet Fire Safety Tips 

  • Pets are curious. They may bump into, turn on, or knock over cooking equipment. Keep pets away from stoves and countertops.
  • Keep pets away from candles, lamps, and space heaters.
  • Always use a metal or heat-tempered glass screen on a fireplace and keep it in place.
  • Keep pets away from a chimney’s outside vents. Have a “pet-free zone” of at least 3 feet (1 meter) away from the fireplace. Glass doors and screens can stay dangerously hot for several hours after the fire goes out.
  • Consider battery-operated, flameless candles. They can look and smell like real candles.
  • Some pets are chewers. Watch pets to make sure they don’t chew through electrical cords. Have any problems checked by a professional.
  • Have working smoke alarms on every level of the home. Test your smoke alarms at least once a month.
  • If the smoke alarm sounds, get out and stay out


Never go back inside for pets in a fire. Tell firefighters if your pet is trapped.